What did I notice in the blogosphere this week?
1. He opened up an important dialogue about tag awards. It's a subject near and dear to our blog hearts. Read it HERE and then the encore performance HERE where seven thoughtful bloggers weighed in on the subject at hand. It was the longest comment I ever wrote and it nearly broke his comment box. Awards and memes are two different animals in the blogosphere. Bloggers do not use them universally. There is no United Blog Nation (thank goodness) to set rules and procedures. They evolve like folk tunes passed down from generation to generation. Bud's post did bring to light a few issues I had to take seriously as of late. It was an interesting discussion.
We have our individual tag policies which should be respected from blog to blog and I think we do a fine job of doing just that. I've created a new page just for mine and will continue to add to it, linking back to the many badges I've been given that I truly appreciate. I've had to pause lately and rethink my response to tag awards. Bottom line: the intent behind it, the motivation, the source. Is it a person I trust? Why are they giving it to me? Where did it come from? I've chosen to try to think carefully before I pass on awards just for the sake of tagging. Sometimes I love saying "thank you for your friendship" to my whole blogroll and sometimes I like to give out a few here and there when warranted. What's your policy on awards? I think they make blogging a happy and supportive place to be - unlike the real world.
What else did I see while out and about?
2. The Big Bang continues to roll along. Link requests and blog building formats like the Big Bang are great for exposing your blog to new people. There are nearly 600 on the master list.Thanks to Mel at Monday Morning Power who is doing a fabulous job with this. Mel has also written a great article "Increasing Blog Readership, 14 Rules By Monday Morning Power" that is excellent.
3. Somebody (who shall remain nameless) created a new blog for a meme. Go figure! Who would DO such a thing? The blog ocean is now afloat with your many words of wisdom and laughter. Somebody said to tell you she's lost at sea and needs a compass before she can get back around to all her blog reading. Somebody has 694 unread posts in her reader. And that's her "message" to you.
4. Do you know about Sky Watch Friday? It started at a blog called Strolling Through Georgia. I discovered it when I saw this glorious shot taken by Misty Dawn of My Dogs Keep Me Sane.
5. Entrecard is a new gadget I've noticed that I'm really excited about. It's a virtual internet business card that promises to be an innovative networking tool for your blog. I plan to sign up as soon as I come up for air from the blog ocean. Click here to see one at the top of Sanni's blog, who by the way, has started a great new feature called Sunday Suggestions. She's even serving cupcakes and coffee. I'm so there.
6. And the most important part of my week? I had a date.
We went for pizza......
That was nice. He used his napkin and everything.
Then he taught me how to play a video game at the restaurant. He pushed the pedals. I drove. He mashed the gas. I drove. He pushed the pedals and shouted "Look out, Mimi!" a lot.
He laughed and said "I'll drive next time." I like him!
What posted on Mimi Writes one year ago today? February 2007 Instant Recap! Demon possessed vacuum cleaners, Valentine's Day romance, Prince at the Superbowl and The Queen's Dirty Thirty. What a month!