Send your peace globes to
blog4peace @ yahoo.com

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Reason #5 To Fly A Peace Globe ~ Ogaden

Update 2019 : Indecisive conclusion source Wikipedia

There are thirty ongoing violent conflicts waging right now around the globe. The United Nations defines Major Wars as military conflict inflicting 1,000 battlefield deaths per year. Wikipedia expands that definition to include wars that cause destruction and humanitarian crisis of outstanding severity." Ongoing civil wars fueled by racial, ethnic, or religious differences come with a new twist that distinguishes them from wars in previous generations - civilian casualties. During World War I non-combatants made up less than 5% of casualties. Today, the number is a staggering 75% civilians killed or wounded.

In just a few days we will engage in another BlogBlast For Peace. By my research and estimation, there are at LEAST 30 very good reasons to fly a peace globe. To begin your activism. To increase our awareness of the suffering of others. To talk about peace. To write about peace. To be part of a larger voice for peace. To invoke peace. To pray for peace. To focus on peace.

To wage peace.


Need a reason to fly a globe?
Here's Reason #5

Ogaden Conflict

April 2007

WHERE? Ethiopian Somali region on the east coast of Africa


Who is fighting? The Ethiopian Army and a rebel group called the Ogaden National Liberation front. In less than a year, hundreds of civilians were killed and tens of thousands displaced. The plight of the people in this remote section of Africa is dire and often compared to the humanitarian conditions in Darfur. The Ethiopian air force has been carpet bombing villages and civilians on the run in nomadic settlements.

The conflict has resulted in a humanitarian crisis.

Can you imagine being an innocent person finding yourself and your family literally trapped between warring enemies?


Reportedly, government troops are burning villages, raping, looting and terrorizing civilians who seem to sympathize with the opposing side. It has been called a "mini-Darfur." There has also been a forced draft of civilians, even health workers, to fight alongside troops. Many of those who refused were jailed or tortured.

Human Rights Watch reports that the humanitarian abuses violate the "laws of war."

Did I just write that? The laws of war.....
I am appalled by the needless suffering in my world.
If words are powerful, then this matters



How To Get Your Peace Globe
November 5, 2009
The Peace Globe Gallery


Reason #1 Sri Lanka
Reason #2 Darfur
Reason #3 Iraq
Reason #4 Pakistan

12 comments:

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

When we spoke last night I told you how much I am enjoying this feature. Another outstanding job!!

Mimi Lenox said...

Bud - Thank you. I am learning a lot. It is overwhelming. There really are no words.

Julie said...

You realize there are no words...just don't stop just because your many readers can't find words either.

**hugs dear Mimi**

bundle-o-contradictions said...

If I were you, I'd be in tears every day. Thank you for having the strength to educate your readers.

Sandee said...

Another reason for peace globes. It is such a shame. No regard for human life at all is there. Not in this case. Have a great evening Mimi. :)

Jackie said...

Oh Mimi,
You know just how dear this project is to me.

It breaks my heart to know that so many in the world are suffering so.

I have been running themes for the last two weeks at my site.

The basic theme is let's all truly try to get to know each other.

I would very much like to highlight you tomorrow.

I have gone around the globe from politics, economics, and this week is simply "let's get to know each other week"

Please if you could take just a moment to drop by or email me I would be so delighted to help show the world that Americans do indeed care.

I would need your permission to use an image from your site.

Please let me know as I am headed to start my post for tomorrow now.

Much love to you...you are truly an angel!!
http://shinade.blgospot.com

Margo Moon said...

It's a sad globe, indeed. Thirty!

Sometimes I think evolution has done an about face.

Dusting off my Peace Globe, Mimi.

Akelamalu said...

You're doing a grand job Mimi.xx

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

keep em coming Mimi

bige said...

I also wanted to add I like the blinking peace sign =)

wordpress best blogs

Linda said...

Good evening, your Majesty. Just wanted to let you know that I am attempting to stick my toes back into the blogging pond, as it were.

This post really is sad but something that needs to be brought to people's attention. Thank you for doing so and for all the hard work and dedication you make to the Peace Globes.

Patti said...

These posts are overwhelming. There truly are no words to describe, as you said.

Link Within



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...