Send your peace globes to
blog4peace @ yahoo.com

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Reason #1 To Fly A Peace Globe ~ Sri Lanka



UPDATE: PEACE!!
Achieved May 2009 when the Sri Lankan military defeated the Tamil Tigers. The 26-year civil war took the lives of 80,000-100,000 soldiers and civilians.


There are thirty ongoing violent conflicts waging right now around the globe. The United Nations defines Major Wars as military conflict inflicting 1,000 battlefield deaths per year. Wikipedia expands that definition to include wars that cause destruction and humanitarian crisis of outstanding severity." Ongoing civil wars fueled by racial, ethnic, or religious differences come with a new twist that distinguishes them from wars in previous generations - civilian casualties. During World War I non-combatants made up less than 5% of casualties. Today, the number is a staggering 75% civilians killed or wounded.
Displacement of civilians 2009


The five major wars and the year they began and number of casualties (includes the injured as well as the dead), at this time in our history are the Sri Lankan Civil War (1983, 70,000) War in Darfur (2003, est. 300,000) Iraq War (2003, 100,000-1,124,00) Waziristan War in Pakistan (2004, 2600-7100) and the Ogaden Conflict in Ethiopia (2007, 1500). Twenty-five remaining conflicts are listed here.
Yet another reference site called The World At War cites 42 locations around the globe.

We will soon engage in another BlogBlast For Peace. By my research and estimation, there are at LEAST 30 very good reasons to fly a peace globe. To begin your activism. To increase our awareness of the suffering of others. To talk about peace. To write about peace. To be part of a larger voice for peace. To invoke peace. To pray for peace. To focus on peace.
To wage peace.

Need a reason to fly a globe? Here's Reason #1.



She is a child fighter.



in the

Who is fighting? The government and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (also known as the Tamil Tigers)


I am appalled by the needless suffering in my world.
If words are powerful, then this matters.


Join us for another exciting launch this November

How To Get Your Peace Globe
November 5, 2009
The Peace Globe Gallery




© Mimi Lenox
All rights reserved

8 comments:

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

This is a terrific post. I've said this before, this is a great task that you undertake. As I said yesterday, if I can do anything more, let me know. I tried to put the banner on my blog today but didn't get it right...

Travis Cody said...

We're getting geared up for Peace Week here at the Travis & Pam abode. Words and images have power.

Julie said...

This is a very sad world we live in but you bring happiness to it by touching so many people with your peace globes and bottles.

Don't ever stop Ms. Mimi.

*hugs*

Mimi Lenox said...

Bud - Thank you. It is a labor of love for me.

Travis - I always love what the two of you do at the Trav Chateau (ala Pam and Mr. Tucker). It is a site to behold and sooo peaceful.

Julie - Researching wars and statistics and photographs etc is a bit depressing for me sometimes (it was yesterday) but people like you, who care about it deeply, gives all of us hope.

Akelamalu said...

It's a great job you're doing Mimi.

My post is all ready to go and I've emailed you my Globe already. :)

Mimi Lenox said...

Akelamalu - Thank you, little Hawaiin girl. You do rock.

Patti said...

Ralph and I will be on board with the peace globes, Your Majesty.

Your work is inspiring to many.

bundle-o-contradictions said...

I don't think I've ever said it before, but I applaud you, Mimi, for your idea. So many people are touched by it, it has to make a difference.
(& I really am on mine, right now!)

Link Within



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...