Send your peace globes to
blog4peace @ yahoo.com

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sunday Blog Chatter: On Love and Rowing




I've been in love with this song for almost thirty years. It's a Scottish ballad sung since the 1600's. This is the James Taylor live version with guitar and strings. Other recordings I enjoy are Eva Cassidy's on her American Tune album and the dynamic arrangement performed at Lilith Fair by Sarah McLachlan, Jewel and Indigo Girls. I've chosen the Taylor version because it is truer to the original melody. Despite the lyrics, I've never considered this song to be melancholy.
Just peaceful.

And so, I thought I'd share with you some of my favorite quotes on love this week in the next few posts, as I patiently (and actively) wait for my own true love to appear. What does he look like? I don't know.

But I know what love looks like.
And that is all that matters.

The Water Is Wide

The water is wide, I can't cross over 
and neither I have wings to fly 
give me a boat that can carry two 
and both shall row - my love and I 
Now love is gentle, and love is kind 
the sweetest flower when first it's new 
but love grows old, and waxes cold and fades away like morning dew

 There is a ship, she sails the sea
 she's loaded deep as deep can be
 but not as deep as the love I'm in 
I know not how I sink or swim 
The water is wide, I can't cross over 
and neither I have wings to fly
 give me a boat that can carry two 
and both shall row - my love and I 
and both shall row - my love and I
What posted on Mimi Writes one year ago today? Send This To Someone You

7 comments:

Sandee said...

Beautiful Mimi. Husband walks by and said "James Taylor...very nice". I had not heard this before. I can see why you are in love with this song. Have a great Sunday Mimi. :)

Anndi said...

It's beautiful and reminds me of a humble amazing man I happen to be in love with :)

Mimi Lenox said...

Sandee - I've always loved its magical qualities. Glad you and hubby enjoyed.

Anndi - Enjoy every delicious wonderful reeling tumbling moment. Smiling....

Carver said...

Mimi,

Thank you so much for posting that. I love that song and I haven't hear JT do it. In the early 1990s when my daughter was taking dance as a young girl at Arts Together, they did a beautiful free dance to that song. I can picture my little girl in a little dress dancing to an instrumental version of that with a pensive look on her face. Ah memories. Carver

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Mimi. Not only is that one of my favorite songs for JT to sing, but it was also a favorite to perform, back when I played guitar and sang. I loved singing it and can really got into the emotion behind the song. You brought back some very pleasant memories.

Akelamalu said...

Beautiful Mimi. x

Patti said...

That's a beautiful song, Mimi. I never heard it, and haven't heard JT in a while either.
Thanks so much for sharing it.

Link Within



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...