Send your peace globes to
blog4peace @ yahoo.com

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Sunday Blog Chatter: Thou Shalt Not Steal My Blog

e
If you are reading this text from the Bitacle.org website then you are reading a stolen blog. Mine.

No, I'm not a celebrity.
Not a millionaire.
I'm not running for public office.
I don't want your money.

But I do want my blog back.

Before I point my readers to the scores of articles, blog posts and chatter from countless furious bloggers across the globe who also discovered this weekend that their blogs had been placed on your unsightly site - I'd just like to have a word of prayer with Mr. Jesus - who has scrambled to fix a few things in the last few hours to appease said angry bloggers but not nearly enough. WARNING: I'm going to use flowery words, proper English and appropriate blogspeak as is my usual custom. I'll try to say this delicately and not hurt your feelings.

Don't you know there's a special place in hell reserved for people who steal blogs?!!

And if you're going to steal my blog and plagiarize my content then at least have the decency to do it right.
You can't spell.
You can't write.
Your website is ugly.

We are not amused.

And we are not going away, you Bitacle bullies you. Who do you think you're dealing with here???

What can you do with my blog? Well....I think you know what you can do with yours but I certainly can't say that on a PG blog now can I?

Thou shalt link to me if you play nice and credit my work. (Unless you're a moocher like Bitacle.org)

Thou shalt ask me to link exchange and I will agree unless you're a blog stealing site like Bitacle.org.

Thou shalt use snippets and quotes within Fair Use guidelines and even review my blog as long as you give Mimi Lenox credit and link back to me as a reference.
(Of course, that would involve actually writing something original and since your own HELP section is totally incomprehensible I won't even let you do those things. So there.)

Thou shalt understand that site feed does not mean site bleed.

Thou shalt look up the word parasite in the dictionary and write it 500 times.
Gosh, I hope I didn't hurt your feelings.

Apparently, Planet Bitacle is the new Pluto.
We'd prefer you hover somewhere other than in our galaxy.
Do not pass Go.
Do not collect $200.
Just go away.
And maybe you won't have to go directly to jail.


You can place link that lead to my original page with my copyrighted material but you cannot reproduce the entire text of every post I ever created and plaster it under the aggregate tab on your silly site so that you can make money on my work.
Period.

This is Mimi Pencil Skirt reporting live from her very own web address mimiwrites.blogspot.com for today's segment of Sunday Blog Chatter. That's MIMI LENOX. Spelled M-I-M-I- L-E-N-O-X owner and operator, chief cook and bottle-washer and keeper of the midnight flame. AKA Morph Girl and Mimi Queen of Memes.

Now, if you'll excuse me I need to apologize to my readers for my rant and find a priest.


LINKS for more information.
Stop Bitacle.org
Plain Jane Mom had an interesting solution to this problem.
Thanks to
Moof's article for alerting me to the Bitacle scandal when I clicked over from a comment buddy to his site.This is what Mimi Writes looks like on Bitacle.org.
Just do a search on Google or Technorati to see what other bloggers are saying.
What's your opinion, readers?


Don't forget
November 7, 2006.Click here to get your


16 comments:

Erika Jurney said...

"site feed does not mean site bleed" Nice!

Great post Mimi. Fingers crossed, bitacle will be gone soon. But what to do about whoever pops up after them is another question.

(If you change the link to my site to http://plainjanemom.com/tag/bitacle/ it will help folks who click over there after my bitacle stuff has gone off the home page...)

Anonymous said...

I liked the spin you put on that LOL!!! at least now you can laugh through your tears while reading this.

Bazza said...

Mimi, I can almost hear your feet stamping as I read this post! I do believe little curly wisps of smoke are hanging in the air above my computer. But I do believe your action will start a campaign to see that pirate repelled. Well done.

Mimi Lenox said...

Jane...Glad you liked the article. We'll keep at it until he's gone!

Mimi Lenox said...

True, wolfbaby. Laughter is strange medicine sometimes. I was so appalled at this character that I had to do something to lighten up the mood in the blogosphere. Hope this helped.

Mimi Lenox said...

Bazza.....Thank you...."see that pirate repelled" Ha!..music to my smokin' ears.

Anonymous said...

AMEN, SISTER!! I'm looking into this to see if TheBusyDad's been pilfered...

Dr. A said...

Great post. I'm going to talk about this soon. I'm going to link to you, if that's ok. I'm also going to try plain jane mom's idea to see if it works. Wish me luck.

Yaxlich said...

Yaxlich is unsure what can be done about Mr Jesus. In a lot of ways it is no different to any other feed based site (FeedBurner, Bloglines, Google Reader). The main difference, as far as he can see, is that Mr Jesus is a little bit more obvious about his attempts to make money.

Yaxlich doesn't understand much about law but he's not sure if what Mr Jesus is doing is illegal. It's certainly immoral but by putting in a copyright notice does that not mean he is giving due credit to the original author?

Yaxlich is confused by all this and is going to have a lie down.

Mimi Lenox said...

Busy Dad....I sincerely hope you are not on that pitiful site. A busy dad has no time to deal with this. Neither do the rest of us. I need a nap.

Mimi Lenox said...

Dr. A link away! The more bloggers are chatting about this the better. Good luck with Jane's idea. As has been said many times this weekend, 'hell hath no fury like a blogger ripped off."

Mimi Lenox said...

Yaxlich.....I hope you got a good nap because you're about to get a rude awakening. I hate to break this to you - and you - and you - but your site has been stolen as well. Jesus has done it again. (Let's call him something else. That makes me sick.)
Myth #1: It is totally different than the others you mentioned. Up until this weekend this guy credited NO ONE, not even a url address to point back to our sites. The real issue lies here:
If you go to Bitacle.org and "subscribe" to his horrible business then you read a blog (yours, yours, and yours) directly FROM his address and they never have to go to YOUR original site. Nice, huh? You lose traffic, you lose credit for your work, you lose ad dollars....which means you will have to make more trips to the smelly vegetable place.Yaxlich! Are you still with me?
And no, putting a copyright statement at the bottom just doesn't cut it. He stole our blogs. It's a money making machine. Some of the cache pages he's indexed don't have workable url links back to our work anyway which isn't really the point. And do you see your NAME anywhere on the page? No one will bother to find you, you and you if this type of thing continues. They'll just conveniently hop on the the back of Jesus' piggy bank. (Sorry, Lord)

Winken, Blinken and Nod might need a longer nap.

Jim McKee said...

I think you can change your feed settings to disallow feeds from your site. (Although, since I'm going by memory, that may not be true.)

Yaxlich said...

Yaxlich is still unsure about the whole issue.

Clicking on a link through the search options takes you to the originating site so that is not an infringement. Clicking on a link within the aggregate page also takes you back to the originating site. Equally clicking on the RSS feed button will subscribe you directly to the originating sites feed and not the Bitacle one.

The reason why Yaxlich cited Google Reader as a similar operation is because he has now taken to reading blogs via GR rather than visit them directly. He will read an article on GR and if he wants to comment he will then visit the site. GR does pretty much what Bitacle is doing except without the AdSense.

Yaxlich has read a number of different sites about Bitacle. The same problem keeps coming back. The site is hosted in Spain. A cease and desist order will mean nothing unless someone is prepared to battle this character in the Spanish courts. He knows that. Reporting him to Google will do nothing unless you're prepared to bankroll a potentially costly court case.

The only way this will be resolved is by the Big 3 (Google, MSN, Yahoo!) all refusing to list scraper sites. That immediately removes 95% of their search engine traffic. Will it happen? Not whilst Google are basing their business model on the success of AdSense.

Looking at things positively, which you know Yaxlich prefers to do, he thinks that Bitacle will indirectly lead to traffic coming to the site purely because the interface sucks. It is slow and cumbersome. If a reader wants to read the rest of the site they can click on a link and exit Bitacle.

Yaxlich doesn't know whether this has changed since Queen Meme originally posted. Certainly all of the cached pages from Yaxlich's blog have active links back to his site. Maybe this has been changed since everyone started bombarding the site with complaints.

Maybe Jesus has seen the light?

Anonymous said...

Mimi, excellent job. I'm going to link to you, if you don't mind.

By the way ... I'm a "she" ... the handsome fellow in the pic with me is my youngest son. :o)

Anonymous said...

I agree with you however, this isn't the only site where blogs are copied by someone and used as their own. I only found out this was happening to me because this guy told me he was going to use one of my recent entries.
I recently wrote a blog on Secret Societies, my take on them, my research, my spin. I got a comment to my blog thanking me and saying he was going to "steal" it, his words not mine. They posted the article in its entirety with no mention of where they were getting the info or a link back to me.
I'm not sure what the blogging etiquette is however, I thought when you blog you are sharing your ideas.
It leaves me with the feeling that some bloggers have no ideas of their own and that basically all blogs may be coming from only one source. Thanks

Link Within



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...